After spending the first half of our stay in Australia in the part that spans 70 per cent of the continent – the Outback – the second half was dedicated to seeing some of the remaining 30 per cent which are home to 95 per cent of the population. The arc running along the southeast … Continue reading THE BOOMERANG COAST
“After cycling for 15 months, for some strange reason, Tim and Linda decided they would ditch their perfectly functional bicycles and ride a tandem around Australia. They arranged to have the tandem shipped to Darwin and we collected it and stored it until they arrived”, our Warmshowers host in Darwin wrote about us in his … Continue reading THE STUART HIGHWAY
Let us bombard you with some ~fun~ facts first: At over 260 million people, Indonesia is the world’s 4th most populous country after China, India and the United States, it has the largest Muslim population in the world, and one of its more than 17,000 islands, Java, is the world’s most populous island. The distance … Continue reading HELLO MISTER!
Borneo is the world’s third-largest island and is divided among three countries: Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei. Our original plan to get to Borneo had been to catch a ferry from Bintan Island, just south of Singapore, to Pontianak in Kalimantan, the Indonesian part of Borneo. As this ferry wasn’t operating and there was no information … Continue reading BORNEO
Globally, we each consume an average of eight kilogrammes of palm oil a year. 85 % of palm oil is produced in Indonesia and Malaysia, so it’s not surprising that a lot of the landscapes we passed through when cycling across the Malay Peninsula from north to south was dominated by oil palms. It’s a … Continue reading A WORLD OF PALM
You know a country is good for cycle touring when your biggest complaint is that everything is just a little “too easy”. If you’re considering embarking on a cycling holiday yourself and want to explore a destination a little more exciting and exotic than Europe without forgoing comfort and convenience, book yourself a flight to … Continue reading PEDALLING IN PARADISE